When we are trying to figure out what to measure to evaluate how well we are aging, scientists continue to come up with ideas. One such idea shows “the nine hallmarks of aging.” Bear with me and keep reading, as this next part is something out of medical school.
- Genomic instability
- Telomere shortening
- Epigenetic alterations
- Loss of protestasis
- Deregulated nutrient sensing
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- Cellular senescence
- Stem cell exhaustion
- Altered intercellular communication
This is super interesting, but many of these things are hard to measure and let’s face it — super in the lab bench science. What can we actually use today in our clinics?
There is actually American Federation of Aging research which is trying to figure out what biomarkers to follow. The biomarker must predict the rate of aging and onset of aging-related diseases, monitor a basic process (not the underlying disease), and must be testable, reliable, and safe, as well as monitored in animals and humans so that testing can be done.
What did they come up with?
Telomere length: Telomeres are considered to be a biomarker of aging. They shorten with aging. Shorter telomeres are associated with decreased life expectancy and increased rates of age-related chronic disease. Telomere length varies extensively between individuals. We know telomeres shorten with each division of the cell, but that rate is accelerated by inflammation and oxidative stress. It is thought that lifestyle and dietary factors can affect telomere length.
How can Biohackr Health help?
- Telomere testing: Collected in our clinic, telomere testing will let you assess your biologic age versus your chronologic age. How well are you doing?
- NAD+: One of the hallmarks of aging is mitochondrial health. We offer NAD level testing, NAD IV infusions, and NMN — the precursor to NAD which can be taken orally.
- Anti-aging treatments: Glutathione, NAD, and other treatments
- Blogs, education, and science: Many treatments and lifestyle modifications are not something we sell. But we are dedicated to education and helping you find whatever can help longevity.
Optimize you — your brain, physical, and sexual health.