Anti-aging is something you can have an impact on. Genetics play a large factor, but knowing your health status means you can implement certain measures to improve. If you have a strong family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, or diabetes, you need to be proactive. Not only will it help your current health, it will improve your longevity. We believe in this philosophy at Biohackr Health. Read until the end of this blog to learn about testing and treatment options.
In reviewing studies, we’ve found there are optimal levels for cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar, and weight.
What are the goals?
- Reduce LDL to 70mg
- Decrease LDL particle number and increase LDL particle size
- Increase HDL to over 40mg in men, and 50 mg in women
- Increase HDL 2 subfraction, reduce inflammatory HDL, and increase protective HDL
- Blood sugar:
- Reduce fasting blood glucose to less than 90
- Glucose tolerance test should be less than 110mg
- HbA1C should be 5.0 or lower
- Reduce C-reactive protein to less than 1.0
- Optimize hormones
What behaviors can you do?
- Maintain ideal body weight
- Stop smoking
- Reduce all coronary risk factors: inflammation, oxidative stress, improve mitochondrial function, increase arginine, increase nitric oxide levels, and bioavailability.
- Increase exercise
- Optimize nutrition (increase vegetables, Mediterranean diet)
- Fasting/caloric restriction — intermittent fasting has been shown to improve insulin resistance
- Optimize sleep
What medications can help?
- Blood pressure medications like ACE inhibitors and Calcium channel blockers
- Statins to reduce cholesterol
- Possibly metformin to help with insulin resistance
- Hormone replacement therapy
What can you do at Biohackr Health?
- Telomere testing to see your biologic age versus your current chronologic age
- Bloodwork testing — We have a comprehensive metabolic panel that offers a deeper dive into cholesterol (LDL and HDL, with Lipoprotein a, Lipoprotein b, and homocysteine), an insulin panel with HbA1C, and a hormone panel. This testing is done with a blood draw at our clinic in our lovely massage chairs.
- The Biohackr Benchmark program offers other deeper dives into your body health. If you have cardiac risk factors, a CT of the heart to find your cardiac calcium score can allow you to stratify risk.
- Hormone pelleting — If you have hormone imbalances, this can be treated with hormone pelleting.
- NAD+, glutathione, EB02 — Many of our treatments improve body function and decrease inflammation.
- Semaglutide helps with weight loss. A significant number of our patients see improvements in their bloodwork with weight loss — cholesterol, HbA1C, and insulin resistance, among others.